Relatives Of U.S. Citizens And The Immediate Relative Visa Process

The process of becoming a lawful permanent resident and obtaining a green card is typically long and arduous. However, the process is much more streamlined for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens who may qualify to receive immediate relative visas. Individuals who qualify for this special classification of visas include:

  • Parents of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old
  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen
  • An unmarried child (under age 21) of a U.S. citizen

Individuals who meet one of these qualifications must also be able to submit documentation showing proof of the following:

  • Adherence to proper immigration filing procedures
  • Physically in the U.S.
  • Lawful entry into the U.S.
  • Compliance with immigration and U.S. laws

Even if you or your relative qualifies to take advantage of this truncated process, it is easy to make mistakes and even seemingly minor errors can cause major delays or even jeopardize you or your relative’s chances of staying in the U.S. and obtaining a green card.

At Hogan & Vandenberg, LLC, we provide the information, advice and assistance that relatives of U.S. citizens need to ensure that they fully comply with the most-current immigration laws and requirements.

Adjustment Of Status

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens may be granted a visitor’s visa to visit and stay in the U.S. for a specific duration of time. If, while in the U.S., an immediate relative wishes to adjust their immigration status and take steps to become a lawful permanent resident, officials at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will conduct a thorough investigation to determine intent and, ultimately, eligibility.

Our attorneys help the immediate relatives of U.S. citizens who wish to adjust their immigration status while already in the U.S. on a visitor visa. We have successfully handled hundreds of adjustments of status cases and have a firm understanding of the process and what is required to achieve a positive outcome.

Consular Processing

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens who are living abroad and are not currently in the U.S. can still apply for permanent lawful resident status through a process known as consular processing. The first step in the consular process involves filing and obtaining the approval of Form I-130 by USCIS, after which time a case is turned over to the appropriate U.S. Department of State consulate.

Once in the hands of the U.S. consulate, an application may be denied for a number of reasons, including innocent omissions or failures to follow complex regulatory guidelines. To improve the likelihood of a positive outcome, our attorneys work closely with clients to ensure that all necessary forms and documents are completed and complaint with U.S. immigration requirements.

Helping Relatives Of U.S. Residents Come To And Remain In The U.S.

To learn more about immediate relative visas and whether you or your parent, spouse or child may qualify to receive this type of visa, call an immigration lawyer at Hogan & Vandenberg, LLC, today at 302-225-2734. You can also send us an inquiry and get in touch with us online by submitting a contact form on our website.

From our offices in Wilmington, Delaware, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, we provide legal advice and advocacy to clients in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland.